Equality, freedom, solidarity: the building blocks of modern democracy. A strong civil society can defend these values, yet we often fail to recognise the importance of everyday civic initiatives.
This is why civil society needs recognition and a comprehensive strategy at the European level. This is the aim of the Reclaim Our Civil Space!, an initiative of Central-European CSOs led by Ökotárs – Hungarian Environmental Partnership Foundation. The issue was in focus of our international conference in early June:
- Why is a European civil society strategy essential?
- What are the core principles that should form the basis of the strategy?
- What similar EU initiatives have been launched in recent years?
- How can we work on this and build up civic synergies? How can local civil society organisations get involved?
The results of the two days will be shared with EU policy makers soon. The future strategy needs to
– recognise the systemic role of civil society
– provide resources for civil society organisations
– and include guarantees for the free, autonomous and independent functioning of CSOs.
This is the only way to build a diverse and thriving civil society across Europe!